Why Buy a Used or Refurbished Netbook?
Netbooks or small notebook computers have become very popular over the last few years because they are small and portable and they are also a lot more affordable than a full-size laptop. Even though a mini or small laptop might be less expensive than a full-size laptop the prices can still range from $300 to $500 or more so a lot of people look into buying used or refurbished netbooks to save money.
- The depreciation of a netbook value is so high, that after one year in the market, a netbook can easily lose half its value. Buying used or refurbished mini laptop can save you quite a bit of money because they can typically be purchased for 50% or more off of the cost of a new one. So if you are looking for a cheap netbook, look for one which is close to one year old. Not all second hand netbook are in bad condition. You will be surprised to find that some second hand netbooks are still in good condition because their owners have the tendency to chase after the latest technology and will look to sell off their netbooks so that they can buy a new one.
- You can also save money by buying a refurbished small laptop. When an item is old or used piece of equipment that has been repaired or made to look and function as new it can no longer sold as new, but can only be sold as refurbished. A “like new” item gives the buyer a reasonable expectation of receiving a working merchandise although the cosmetic condition may not be like that of a brand new item. A mini notebook may be sold as a recertified item for reasons such as cosmetic or shipping damage, demonstration units, defect during production or overstock items. Because of their history, refreshed netbooks are often sold for less.
Read also: Best Netbooks for College & Gaming
Buy Netbook from Power Users or Gamers
I like to buy electronic gadgets including mini laptop computers from hard core power users or gamers. Let me share with you why. Gamers or power users usually require the latest and most powerful technology to run their games or power hungry applications.
Because of this, they will often buy a new laptop every few months and they need to sell their old ones both to get rid of them and to get back some of the money they spent. Now if you are looking to buy cheap netbook with up to date technology and you happen to have friends who are gamers, do ask them if they are looking to sell off their netbooks. Who knows, maybe you can buy a good and cheap netbook from them.
What to Look for in a Refurbished or Used Netbook?
When you start shopping for a computer of any kind you’ll have to think about your needs and look for a netbook that will meet those needs. If you buy something that falls a little short you will be frustrated with its performance and if you buy something that is more than you need you’ll be paying too much for it.
- A good processor is important and the common processors used in netbooks that are about a year old are Intel Atom N270/N280/N450. These are good processors that provides plenty of speed and performs well for common tasks and Internet surfing.
- Another important consideration is screen size and resolution. Screen sizes range from about 7 inches to about 12.1 inches and resolution will range from 1024 x 600 to 1280 x 768.
- Look for a cheap mini laptop with at least 1GB of RAM memory which is more than enough to run most non graphic intensive application easily. If the processor speed is slow, then having more memory can compensate for the lack in speed. In fact, the size of memory plays a big part in determining how fast a netbook runs an application. Just by increasing the memory size, you can see a huge difference in speed.
Where to look for a Reconditioned or Used Netbook?
Some people wonder about the availability of refurbished or used netbooks and don’t really know where to look in order to buy one. You might be surprised to learn that there are a lot of used computers available and there are also a lot of websites online that are selling them. The Internet is perhaps the best source of information. Search Google with with brand and model plus “used” or “refurbished” and see what comes up.
One of the best places for buying a used or refurbished mini laptop is the Amazon Marketplace. A lot of people who are power user or those into online gaming go there to sell their old laptops. By visiting Amazon consumers can troll a wide selection of used and refurbished netbooks and find the one that best suits their needs and their budget. As sellers are required to list the condition of their products when they list them for sale on Amazon buyers can have some idea of what they are getting themselves into prior to making a purchase.
Some of the best brands of small laptops on the market today are Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung and Acer. To make sure you are getting a good item you can look for those particular brands but it is also a good idea to look at the reviews online. If the computer you are considering purchasing has a lot of good reviews you can be pretty confident that it is a quality machine. This is another good reason to shop the Amazon Marketplace, not only will they have a good selection of used and reconditioned items, they also have a lot of user reviews to help you make your decision.
What precautions should I take when buying Second Hand or refurbished netbook?
- Stick with the better-known brands. This is very important because if you are buying recertified or second-hand netbook, then the chances of requiring servicing is higher than a new netbook. So if you buy a reputable brand, you will save a lot of trouble and time if your mini notebook do require servicing.
- Know what is and isn’t included. Sometimes a refurbished or second-hand netbook wont include everything that a new item will. Some wont have manuals. Others may lack accessories such as laptop carry case. If the item description doesnt specify, ask before you buy.
- Consider shipping and handling when you consider costs This can be quite a bit, specially for large bulky ones.
- Consider shipping options if you are not in a hurry to receive the merchandise immediately.
Now that you know all about refurbished or used netbooks, go out there and get a real deal.