This post deals with antivirus related topics. Our goal is to accurately prepare reviews of mainstream antivirus, spyware, malware, adware and firewall software, program and protection, based on extensive online research into actual customer feedback.
There are lots of antivirus products. Not all of them can do what they claim. Again, they vary greatly in providing customization options. Moreover, not all versions of any specific much talked product can ensure to meet your demand. And above all the price! We write here, so that you can get enough information before you try an existing product. Before appointing any antivirus as your security in charge (!), read our reviews to know whether it is capable or not. We think it is better for you to spend a couple of hours for reading our reviews before spending your hard earned bulks to buy the wrong product.
Our reviews are not something like encyclopedic entries! They are not written to explain historic events. We just want to place the pros and cons of an antivirus product that will give you an idea to decide whether it is useful to try or not. We might not all be protected 100% all the time but our goal is to make sure that you at least leave our site wise, and with a much better chance of staying (or getting) protected!
Read : Best registry Cleaner
What is a Virus?
A virus is a self-replicating software program which “infects” your computer by embedding itself into another file, unknown to the user. As the virus self-replicates it consumes your computer’s processing power and memory resource. Impacting your computer’s performance is one issue but often a virus corrupts files destroying data or damaging programs so that they cannot be used.
How does a Virus Spread?
The widespread adoption of the internet has made it easier for Virus writers to distribute there programs. Viruses are spread through email attachments, downloading files off the internet and swapping files on suspect file-sharing applications like Ares, Kazza and Morpheus. The key thing to remember about viruses is that you need to run to the program to actually infect your computer.
Some of the most famous viruses were distributed by accessing address books of infected computers and sending e-mail (with attachments) to everyone in the address book. The ILOVEYOU virus of 2000 was a simple e-mail attachment that when double clicked sent copies of itself to every e-mail address in the infected computers address
Preventing Virus Infection
Good computer antivirus software is at the centre of your computer’s virus protection. Computer antivirus software scans your computer for viruses and then removes them. It also examines e-mail attachments and download files. The software uses virus definitions to determine whether your file is infected which need to be constantly updated as new threats emerge.
There are a number of things you need to consider when buying an anti virus package:
- Effective detection of viruses obvious point but you need to fell confident that your software will catch a vast majority of the virus threat including worms and Trojans.
- Value for money . a lot of the software vendors offer internet security suites which offer the anti virus software with other security tools including firewall software and spam filters. Typically these all-in-one packages offer better value for money than buying a standalone anti virus software.
- Virus Definition update . the best anti virus software offers automatic updates which ensure the best protection for your computer.
- User Interface . needs to be easy to use so that you configure the required setting without requiring any technical knowledge.
- Integrates with Windows Security Centre this allows you to make the most of a useful feature of your operating system.
- Technical Support this is really important. The best packages offer free technical support. You will be surprised how many vendors actually charge for this sometimes the charges per incident can be very high.
Here are some other tips for fighting virus threats:
- Scan your computer at least once a week. If you are regularly downloading free software or files from file-sharing applications then you need to scan more regularly.
- Keep your virus definitions up to date. The software can only detect know viruses so the virus database must be updated regularly.
- Do not open e-mail attachments from e-mail addresses you don’t recognise. Any executable file (such as those with an .exe, .com, or .vba extension) can potentially be infected with a virus, and should not be run unless you are absolutely sure of the program.
- Be careful what you download off the internet. Be very wary of pop-up boxes and downloading files from suspect file-sharing services.
- Protect your computer with firewall software (learn more).
Computer Anti Virus Software Recommendations
We recommend The Shield Pro 2007. Here are some reasons why:
- Free customer tech support via the phone. No expensive per incident charges.
- Value for money only $29.99 for both the anti virus software and personal firewall software.
- Easy to use and install.
<<Download the Shield Pro 2007>>
Free Anti-Spyware Protection Tools
There are lots of free Anti-Spyware tools that we can find on the internet. Some of the features they offer are detecting and blocking spy ware and ad ware on your computer. It can offer things such as automatic spy ware scanning and automatic updates to protect your computer.
It offers great protection against unwanted pop ups. It can protect your computer from browser hijackers, root kits and other attacks. It can block and protect you from malicious websites. It can clear history and cookie files and most of them offer free customer support by toll free calls, email or live chat. Free spy ware protection can scan, block and remove spy ware from your system.
Free anti-Spyware software is offered to everyone that is interested in keeping their computer as safe and secure as possible. You can find free spy ware protection all over the internet that you can download to make your computer experience more safe and secure.
It can protect your computer against slow performance, pop ups, and security threats from spy ware and other types of unwanted software. It can monitor and offer different actions you can take for detected spy ware. It can help to make your computer browsing experience safer.
It can give you automatic definition updates to help in detecting and removing threats on your computer. This software can quickly find spy ware on your computer. It can find other programs that are unwanted on your computer that may be slowing down your computer, giving you unwanted pop ups, using your private information or changing your internet settings. Free spy ware protection is a good thing to have on your computer as insurance for protecting your system against spy ware and other unwanted programs.
Using free anti-spyware software can help you eliminate detected spy ware from your system. It can give you an option to schedule a scan at your own convenience or can automatically be set up to scan your system on a regular basis. It helps to stop all spy ware before it gets into your system causing problems that you don’t want or need. It runs in the background of your computer without distracting you or what you are doing. And can help to stop all the latest spy ware threats from getting on your system. It will stay up to date to protect your computer from the latest threats. And offers a great feeling of knowing your computer is more safe and secure.
Firewall Software – Your Shield from Hackers who want to control your PC
What is a Firewall?
High-speed internet or “always-on” internet access has made your computer more vulnerable. Your computer is continuously connected to the internet, making it only a matter of time (under 20 minutes) before it is detected by a hacker. Firewall software is an important tool to combat this threat.
A personal firewall “locks” the “doors” to your computer from hackers who either want to take control of or steal confidential information from your computer. Your computer has connections called “ports” that are usually open to the internet. The firewall software closes these “ports” so that information cannot flow through them.
There are a number of good firewall programs, varying in price. As a minimum you should at least utilise the built-in Windows XP Firewall.
The Windows XP FIrewall
The Windows XP firewall was part of the security updates in the Service Pack 2 release. Whilst far from the best option on the market it is better than nothing.
The easiest way to access this feature is through the Microsoft Security Centre. Here are the instructions
- Click “Start” then select “control panel”
- Select the “Security Centre”
- Select “Windows Firewall” from the “manage security settings for” menu and you should see the following:
Once the firewall software is switched on it will start asking you to authorise or block software accessing the internet. You can seen an example below.
Alternative Firewall Recommendations
The best value is to buy the firewall bundled with anti virus software. We recommended “The Shield Pro 2007” from PC Security Shield. You can learn more about anti virus software and this product here. If you already have anti virus software then read on.
The Windows XP firewall is better than nothing but there also excellent firewall products which you can download. One of the key issues with the Windows Firewall is that it doesn’t monitor outbound connections from your PC to the internet. So for example, it will not block a Trojan Virus on your computer “calling out.”
PC Security Shield’s “The Shield Firewall” bundled with the anti virus software effectively resolves this issue. It prevents unauthorised access to the internet from applications on your computer.