Should I Buy a Tablet of Netbook..? These days it seems like everyone needs a computer. Students need them for researching their assignments and taking notes in class. Business professionals need them for taking notes in meetings, making presentations or any number of other business related tasks. Even when we are not working we need our computers for entertainment, for listening to music, watching movies, surfing the Internet, checking e-mails etc. Both Tablets and netbooks offer very compact options that are easy to take with us but which one is the better choice? Should I get a mini laptop or a Tab?
What Is a Tablet PC and What Is It Good for?
A Tablet PC is a very compact and ultraportable computing device that offers many of the same features as a regular computer minus the keyboard. Rather than a keyboard and mouse, a tab has a touchscreen that allows you to interact with the computer.
The tabs are great for entertainment because they have large high-definition screens that are great for playing games, surfing the Internet watching movies etc. If you do need to enter some data you can do so with a virtual keyboard via the tablets touchscreen or by using a stylus and handwriting recognition software to actually write notes on your computers screen.
Although it is possible to enter data on a tab most people are able to type much faster than they can write notes by hand and a virtual keyboard on the touch screen can be a bit cumbersome and inaccurate so a tablet computer is great for a lot of entertainment related purposes but would not be anyone’s first choice for entering or editing data.
What Is a Netbook and What Is It Good for?
A netbook, or often called mini laptop or small laptop, is a lot like a smaller, small version of a laptop. It will typically have a little bit less computing power than a larger PC but it will be able to perform virtually any task that a notebook or a desktop computer can perform.
You will be able to surf the Internet, listen to music, watch movies and do all of those types of things on a mini laptop but the screen on the netbook is smaller than that of a Tablet PC of the same size because it does not have a keyboard. However, if you are planning on using a portable computer for school or work a small laptop is a better choice.
People that are working on a computer need to type and typing on a real keyboard is a lot easier, faster and more accurate than entering data on a virtual touchscreen keyboard. If you need a portable computing device for entertainment a tablet may be the way to go but if you need to get some work done a netbook should be your top choice.
Read also: Laptop Vs Tablet
Ten Things Netbooks Still Do Better than a Tablet
Not long ago netbook computers were all the rage but now tablets have taken over. In many ways, tablets are superior to small laptops. Like a netbook, a tab is lightweight and portable but tabs usually offer better battery life, much faster booting times, better graphics and video playback and much better multitasking capabilities. However, there are still a few areas where mini laptops may have an advantage so we put together a list of 10 things netbooks still do better than a tablet.
- Typing. If you’re going to be doing any typing it is much easier to type on a real keyboard versus the touch screen, virtual keyboard that you have with a tablet. This is one of the most obvious examples of one way a small laptop is still better than a tab but there are some options out there now that will let you use an external keyboard with the tab so this benefit may not be a benefit for very much longer.
- CD and DVD Drives. Tablets do not have CD and DVD drives. Most netbooks do not have them either but what they do have is a USB port that allows you to plug in an external program drive, making it much easier to watch movies or load programs.
- USB Ports. A couple of the benefits of a USB port were mentioned above. USB ports also make it easy to share files from one computer to another and also offer additional storage capacity if you dont want to store everything on your hard drive.
- Storage Capacity .A typical tablet computer might have 64 GB of storage space on the hard drive. A very inexpensive, low-end mini laptop might easily have three times that much storage capacity. Tabs will often give users access to cloud storage but this still requires an Internet connection and is not always the best substitute for a bigger hard drive.
- Using a Windows Operating System.There are some tablets on the market today that do use a Windows operating system and there are also a number of people that would argue that this is not a benefit. However, for most people the Windows operating system is the one that they know how to use, the one that they are familiar with. Using the same operating system on your netbook means that there is no learning curve when you are going from a desktop or laptop PC to a more mobile computing device.
- The Ability to Install and Run Other Microsoft Programs.If you are running the Windows operating system you will also be able to use programs like Microsoft Works, Excel, Mappoint etc. Tablets have a number of apps that can be used in place of just about any other program but again it comes down to what you are familiar with. If you already know how to use a certain program you have eliminated the learning curve involved with using a new app.
- The Ability to Run Flash .There is a lot of flash driven content on the Internet today and with a small laptop you will not need any special apps to do things like playing YouTube videos or watching a Netflix movie.
- The Ability to Swap Batteries. Battery life is pretty good with most Tablets but a netbook makes swapping out batteries very easy and it is nice to have a fully charged, fresh battery waiting just in case.
- Upgrading RAM. The more RAM you have the better and faster your computer is going to run. Mini Laptops make it very easy and fairly inexpensive to upgrade RAM. This is not the case with a tab.
- Price. One final benefit is that a small laptop is going to be considerably less expensive than a tablet PC. Of course to be fair, Tabs will usually give you a lot more performance for your money. A tab can do almost anything that a regular desktop or laptop computer can do and a small laptop will be limited with things like multitasking, video playback, and they are simply not as powerful as a regular computer.
With the list above we are not trying to convince anyone that netbooks are superior to tablets but there are still a few areas where netbooks have a bit of an advantage.